Thursday, July 26, 2007

07/23/07 St. Louis, MO to Effingham, Illinois


We left to Effingham which was supposed to be a longer ride than 90 miles but that’s what it ended up being. We racked out of the hotel to breakfast, sponsored again by Chuck Howard, and then out of the city to avoid East St. Louis and morning city traffic. The ride was long and straight, flat until the end where some rolling hills did pop up. I zoned out a lot, too much as it turned out because I had my first crash ever. I got too close to the edge of the shoulder and I think my back tire went off the little edge and I slammed down on my left side, dragging my left ankle on the edge and scraping my left leg more than half way up. My left hip has a small bruise and my right shoulder is sore. It’s not too bad though because I was only going about 15mph I think. The right handle bar was bent in but I fixed that. It hurt a lot more on the next day. My right hand also became sore. Nick was riding behind me and I took him down with me. Todd was able to stop in time. Nick got flipped off his bike because he ran right over me, leaving some bruises on my upper thighs. When we realized no one was seriously hurt, we all had a really good laugh about it. After a long ride and a quick shower at lodging, a church, we had dinner with a Rotary Club. They brought us a catered dinner with roast beef, chicken, and some amazing loaded mashed potatoes. The greatest part about the day though was the church had a hangout room in the back with Guitar Hero! I was able to show off my skills by playing a few songs. I actually played still in my jersey and spandex before taking a shower.

1 comment:

Jo Ann said...

I'm sure Papa wishes he were behind you on his organ. He has 2 now, did you know? Stay safe